Thursday, August 16, 2007

If I Only Had Eight Arms...

...just think of what I could accomplish! 4 hugs at once... 4 plates and cups to the table so that everyone has their lunch at the same time... 4 loads of laundry carried to the laundry room in one trip! Doesn't that sound so efficient?

This week has been a huge surprise in so many ways. First, a surprise once more at the faces of foster care - beautiful, talented children who just need a loving family to nurture their God-given abilities. Second, a surprise at just how much work is involved in caring for 5 children under age 7. And finally, the biggest surprise of the week, how much I actually got done around my house.

The last two surprises might seem, at first glance, to be opposite of one another. It would seem that either I could care for 5 or accomplish my housework, not both. Believe it or not, I have been more productive this week than any other week this Summer! I have had my laundry going non-stop, dishes in and out of the dishwasher in a flash and even several special projects completed (one of which was cleaning my closet!).

Now, I cannot take all of the credit... I've had some super helpers. However, this phenomenon shows me overall that, most of the time, I'm lazy! It is almost as if I function better under pressure.

Sigh! God only gave me two arms. And, all joking aside, I'm grateful for only two. Four hugs at once just wouldn't be as special as one hug for one child at a time. And serving lunch one person at a time teaches perseverance and patience. And, who in their right mind would want 4 loads of laundry sitting in their laundry room? Not me!

No comments: