Monday, July 16, 2007

May God Be With You, O Valiant Warrior!

I want to tell you a love story... it is a love story on many levels; the love of God for a young man, the love of a Mom and Dad for a son, the love of a brother, the love of dear friends for a boy they care about as if he were their own.

The young man I'll call Valiant Warrior. He was born almost 20 years ago with Cerebral Palsy. God knew exactly what Valiant Warrior would need during his time on earth and so He graciously placed Valiant Warrior into the arms of two amazing parents. A Mommy who unselfishly loves, cares for and teaches... and a Daddy who fiercely protects and risks for the sake of his family.

Valiant Warrior was also given a very special younger brother. I'll call him Boy Wonder. Boy Wonder is 16, yet has the maturity of someone much older. You see, he has watched, helped, sacrificed for and encouraged Valiant Warrior from day one. Boy Wonder is a basketball whiz. He once told his parents that he plays hard because he is playing for Valiant Warrior, too.

We have the privilege of being dear friends to Valiant Warrior and his family. We have watched Valiant Warrior as he referees basketball, tutors elementary children, received his homeschool high school diploma and encourages a sports team of special needs children that was founded in his honor. And this week, we watch and pray as he undergoes a very serious surgery, a hemispherectomy.

Valiant Warrior has fought an amazing fight these last few years... one which those watching can only stand in awe of. He has lived his life with seizures that have become so frequent and serious that medication can no longer quell them. He has functioned on an amazing level, all the while anticipating the 'next seizure.'

This week, he has hope. Tomorrow, Valiant Warrior goes to the hospital for a day of testing and blood work. Wednesday he has a 5-6 hour surgery which will, in all hope, make Valiant Warrior seizure-free for the rest of his life!

Friday night we spent the evening at his home. We played Mexican Train dominoes... which, by the way, Valiant Warrior rules over! And we laughed, a lot. Thank you, God! Valiant Warrior is a huge sports fan... and so he had to take a break from dominoes to watch wrestling.

Valiant Warrior told me about a song that gives him great strength. When I really listened to the words of this song yesterday, they pierced my soul. The depth of his hope and the prayer for his life are right there mingled in... I thought I'd share it with you, so you, too, could catch a glimpse at this amazing young man's heart. The song is called 'Voice of Truth' by Casting Crowns...

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand

But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again.
"Boy, you'll never win!""You'll never win!"

But the voice of truth
tells me a different story
The voice of truth says,
"Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says,
"This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe
the voice of truth

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes
to stand before a giant
With just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound
of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out my name
And he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again,
"Boy you'll never win!""You'll never win!"

But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them lookin' down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me

I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth!

Will you join us in prayer this week for Valiant Warrior and his family? May he rest in the arms of God, may he experience the peace that passes all understanding and may he hear the sweet sound of Jesus singing over him.
(Double click below to watch the video...)


No comments: